Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The Bible

I've come across something that's important for us to chew through. Over the past year, I've been exposed to numerous sects/denominations/divisions of Christianity. It is interesting to me how many deviate off course when emphasizing a particular part of the Bible more than the Bible itself emphasizes it.

A young college student was in a long distance relationship with his highschool girlfriend. One day he received a letter which read:

Joe,

I wish you were here. I wish I could see you right now. I just miss you a lot. Things have been going well here. I had lunch with some of my coworkers yesterday, and I really feel like I am settling in here. Oh, please don't hang out with Sarah anymore. I really feel uncomfortable when you do.

Joe proceeded to show the letter to three of his friends. One responded, "Why are you still here? She obviously wants to see you. You should catch the nearest train. That's what she wants"

Another-"She obviously is over you. She's just writing to tell you that she's settling in and she doesn't need you anymore. You should let her spend more time with her coworkers and stop interferring with her life."

And the last-"The most important thing is that you build trust. Don't hang out with Sarah. In fact, don't hang out with any girls. Don't even talk to them. I bet she would want you to transfer to an all guys school."

Joe simply started writing her a letter.

Some denominations emphasize God's judgement. They are often seen on street corners telling people they are going to hell and are so legalistic that no one can live up to the standards. On the other hand, love is often emphasized, so much so that good and evil are lost in the flood of "It doesn't matter what a person does, just love them." The church is emphasized; lost is God's heart for the sinner. And evangelism is emphasized while the life of the church and individual member falls apart.

It has been suprising to me how much your view on God can change. It is destructive taking principles, prophesies, and commands in the Bible farther than the Bible itself takes them.

1 Tim 6:3-5 If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home